Nominations for the 2021 Mumbrella Publish Awards are open to recognise and celebrate the best work and talent in the B2C, B2B and custom publishing industry across Australia and New Zealand.
Now in its 25th year, the Awards were initially run by Publishers Australia. Last year, the awards were presented virtually because of COVID-19. This year, the awards return to a physical event with a gala dinner planned on 9 September 2021.
Need some motivation? Let’s take a look at the recent niche magazine winners
Niche publishing winners in 2020 included Pip Media (which took out the coveted Small Publisher of the Year award), We Are Explorers, Man of Many, Australian Traveller magazine, Elite Agent, Law Society of NSW Journal (LSJ), and Bunnings Magazine.
In 2019, targeted media winners included the Robb Report, Mahlab Media’s Engineers Australia (Create) B2B magazine, the Law Society of NSW Journal, Paragon Media’s Daily Cargo News, and Missprint Media’s Kookie Magazine.
The Targeted Media Services Network interviewed Pip Media, Paragon Media and Missprint Media about their success. You can read their interviews here:
- Pip Media, Pip Magazine – 2020 Mumbrella Publishing Awards winner – Small Publisher of the year
- Paragon Media, Daily Cargo News – 2019 Mumbrella Publishing Awards winner – Launch/relaunch of the year – small
- Missprint Media, Kookie Magazine – 2019 Mumbrella Publishing Awards winner – Consumer publication of the year – small.
Mumbrella Publish Awards categories and entry details
Publishers can nominate in any of 29 categories, including a new category for Best Sustained COVID-19 Initiative to recognise the continued efforts and challenges made in response to the pandemic (that remain as part of the business at the time of entry).
The full list of 29 categories is:
- Magazine Cover of the Year – Business
- Magazine Cover of the Year – Consumer/Custom
- Designer of the Year
- Best Use of Video
- Best Podcast (Single Episode)
- Best Podcast (Series)
- Single Article of the Year
- Newsletter of the Year
- Event or Virtual Event of the Year
- Special Edition of the Year
- Launch/Relaunch of the Year
- Young Writer of the Year (30 or under)
- Journalist of the Year – Small/Large
- Columnist of the Year
- Editor of the Year – Business
- Editor of the Year – Consumer/Custom
- Salesperson/Team of the Year
- Publish Leader of the Year
- Brand of the Year
- Branded Content Studio of the Year
- Website of the Year – Business
- Website of the Year – Consumer/Custom
- Association or Member Organisation Publication of the Year
- Business Publication of the Year
- Custom Publication of the Year
- Consumer Publication of the Year – Small/Large
- Publishing Company of the Year – Small/Large
- Best Publisher-Led Advertising Campaign
- Best Sustained COVID-19 Initiative.
Note that some categories are split between ‘small’ and ‘large’. This refers to the size of the submitting company, not their publication. Companies with 50 full-time employees or less are classified as small for the purposes of these awards.
Mumbrella has said that the judging and shortlisting process of the Publish Awards this year returns to a physical undertaking, including the acceptance of printed and hard copy magazines to support entries.
The first entry deadline for the 2021 awards is 2 July 2021, at a cost of $320+GST.
The awards will be presented online on 9 September 2021.
For more information on how to enter, visit the Mumbrella Publish Awards website.