It’s the difference between being constantly inundated with messaging vs choosing what to consume and when. Imagine a reader experience with no annoying pop-ups, frozen downloads or swiping to nowhere.
Instead, your niche readers can enjoy uncluttered, uninterrupted moments to absorb your magazine’s content, enjoying the feel of the paper between their fingers as they turn the page. They are off-screen and relaxed. Ahhhh.
That experience is one of the many reasons why readers trust brands more in print magazine advertising.
So how do you best sell the power of your print in the digital age?
By selling both, of course.
Integrated ad campaigns, which include print, increase print’s effectiveness.
Studies have found that the combination of advertising in print magazines with other media helps brands build consumer relationships AND increase purchase intent.
The study revealed that advertising campaigns which include print magazines amongst their mix of media channels have a 22 per cent increase in brand trust.
Share this with your ad clients: brands found in print magazines will have a 55 per cent increase in favorability and can have a 29 per cent lift in purchase intent.
You can boost print revenue in five big ways:
- Re-purpose content for additional profit: Publish ancillary products, both niched-down vertically and in new categories.
- Publish custom print products for additional revenue: It’s a great margin business and you can leverage the team and process you already have in place. (One publisher told us her custom jobs last year took 40 hours of time + $5,000 in costs and resulted in $20,000 in additional revenue!)
- Sell more native: Create sponsored articles, inserts, and cover tips that offer insights tied to a feature story. Tie print native to digital.
- Lower print costs: Work with your printer to determine what paper grade they carry the most. Chances are you’ll get a better discount on it, even if it’s a higher grade. And ask for a review of your printer’s over/under policy to uncover possible rebates.
- Explore creative innovations: There are endless possibilities here. Imagine magazine pages you can eat, plant, or bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes in order to read. What about one with a solar phone charger or a cover that plays music or thermochromic ink that reacts to body heat?
This article was originally published on the Niche Media HQ blog. Based in the US, Niche Media HQ provides events, education and training for B2C, hobbyist, B2B, city and regional, and association magazine publishers.